Saturday, March 26, 2011

week 11, day 4

Well today's run was great!  I had my running partners back so I'm sure that helped (along with skipping happy hour and getting a good night's sleep - I went to bed at 9:45)!  Leaha ran the first 10 miles with me.  We ran to my parents and back into town.  The way there was perfect.  I was even a little hot.  My knees hurt at first then they warmed up by mile 2.  We made it to my parents in 52 minutes.  I had some sport jelly beans and we continued into town.  There were so many bikers out.  We had fun saying hi to them.  The wind really started to pick up - it sucked!  When we got back into town (1:47) Bekie was waiting for us (poor thing).  I ate some more sport jelly beans and we set out for a 5 mile loop (Sacred Heart).  My knees were definitely feeling it by now.  However during this loop the pain was coming in waves.  There were times when I became a head case and felt like I wasn't going to be able to complete all18 miles.  Bekie really encouraged me though!  Thanks, Bekie!! :)  When we finished we ended at my house (2:38) and I got rid of my camelbak.  Again, I felt like a new person.  I practically sprinted the last 3 miles through Wickersham.  Miles 16 and 17 were amazing.  My knee was not bothering me at all.  However, the last mile my breathing grew laborious.  I decided I should slow down some.  It was so hard because I knew I wasn't going to average 10 minute miles (like I did for 17 miles).  I know, this is such a dumb thought.  I should not be concentrating on my time.  I should just be getting miles on my feet.  I just can't help it! ugh!  So I slowed down for about a quarter mile only to speed up again.  I made it home in 3:03:50 (10:12 miles).  Here's to another milestone - 18 miles.  It really amazes me what my body can do.
I decided I would attempt another ice bath.  I invited Leaha and Bekie to help distract me.  After about 5 minutes in the tub, I realized there was no way I would have been able to stay in there had they not been with me.  Again, I wanted to cry and scream all at the same time and I couldn't do either.  I did do a much better job at moving my toes than last time, though.  Before I knew it I couldn't move anymore.  I started to feel nauseous this time.  I kept begging to get out, but they kept egging me to stay.  It worked.  The last two minutes were the absolute worst!  I told Leaha to tell me when there was one minute left.  It felt like an eternity.  Then she said "ok get out".  That was a nice surprise!  Leaha had to leave, but Bekie kept me company in bed while I warmed up some.  At first I really thought I was going to puke.  Thankfully that quickly subsided.  We chatted, tried Chobani pineapple flavored yogurt for the first time (yum!) and I waited 30 minutes to get a warm shower.  I'll admit that the ice bath did not feel any better than last time, but the girls made it much more bearable!  I am so grateful for them during these 18 weeks of training.  I keep wondering how in the world I would have done this alone!  After a warm shower, a piece of italian sub (from capriotti's), some pasta and Herr's Old Bay potato chips I was good to go.  I laid on the couch, read The Girl Who Kicked Hornet's Nest and took a nap to recover.  Only 2 more long runs left!  I can't believe it!!

273/463 miles complete!

5 comments:

  1. You are so awesome! I am so proud of you!

    p.s. You forgot to mention the near dog attack! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leaha! Oh man - that was one of the best parts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin...I am Ashley Henry's older sister Allison. Which marathon are you doing? I am training for my first as well so I totally know what you are going through. I am doing the Pittsburgh Marathon on May 15th. I am also using Hal Higdon. This week coming up is my 12 mile long run and then I to my 18 miler so I might come back and re-read your post. So great you have training buddies...I am flying solo and it definitely makes it challenging. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Allison! I am doing the Delaware Marathon. It's on May 15 as well. I don't know how you're doing it by yourself - that's amazing! Good luck with the rest of your training - race day is going to be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete