Monday, March 14, 2011

experts are there for a reason

I must learn to listen to experts.  After all, that's what they're there for, right?  I came across this randomly today: "Speed isn't as important as covering the distance and logging the time on your feet.  Running too fast risks injury and leaves your muscles fatigued and sore, interfering with quality workouts for days." (Basic Marathon Training by Don Garber, Leigh Ann Berry and Chip Mitchell).  Do you know how many times I have read/heard something of this nature.  Why can't I listen?  I just blogged that I was tight while running today.  Well that's because I'm running too fast!  I just can't help it...I seem to always want to speed up!  So then I continued to read and look what advice came next: "If you feel as though you are running too slow for your current fitness level, commit to maintaining a slower pace until the last 3-5 miles of the run, then pick up the pace through the finish."  This is the perfect solution for me.  This is exactly the technique I have thought about using when I actually run my marathon - start out nice and slow and speed up after mile 20.  "Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect". ~ Vince Lombardi

No comments:

Post a Comment