Monday, March 21, 2011

week 11, day 1

Well it's going to be another rainy week.  Yet again, I found myself running on what was supposed to be my rest day - which I was really looking forward to enjoying.  I am grateful that it was sunny though!  I got to run in capri leggings and a tee shirt - so refreshing!  Although my butt felt a bit jiggly - LOL.  I'm so used to those compression leggings.  I didn't realize what a difference they really made - they really hold everything in! :)
My knees began to hurt within the first mile, but thankfully the pain soon subsided.  I guess I wasn't as warmed up as I thought I was.  I even used my new foam roller - yaaaaaay it came way earlier than I expected!  The rest of the run felt good.  Leaha and I ran a mostly flat route - it was a nice change.  However, when I got back and went to bend over to stretch my hamstrings my left leg felt like it was ripping away from my shin bone.  It was a horrible feeling.  It really scared me.  I have experienced this before in the past, but not for at least 2 or 3 years.  Back then it subsided, but I def wasn't running anywhere close to the distance I am now.  I looked up shin splints online and it recommends no running!  Well as you can imagine, that is not an option right now.  I decided I would ice.  Of course, I got distracted with cooking dinner.  Now that I'm sitting here typing this I am realizing I should be icing - so that's what I'm going to do as soon as I finish.  Let's hope this is just a minor set back and not a major injury.  Looks like I am going to be needing those ice baths whether I like it or not!

242/463 miles complete!

P.S. I did not give a run total for this run for 2 reasons: 1) I did not run a planned route b/c I am sick of them all and 2) I just set my Nike ipod for 50  minutes and ran - it said 5.71 miles.  I know that is off because it needs to be calibrated.  I went to the Oxford's track, but it was locked and I was scared to jump the fence - it's like 10 feet high.  Then I decided I would go to Lincoln University's track.  Well it is no longer.  They tore it up and it is now a mound of dirt and rubber.  Therefore, my ipod has yet to be calibrated.  I refuse to calibrate it on the road because I want a perfect calibration from a perfectly measured distance.  LOL!  No, I'm not picky at all! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment