Saturday, April 16, 2011

week 14, day 4

I tried running today for the first time since I hurt my achilles (2 weeks).  I haven't been in any pain walking since Wednesday so I was pretty confident things would go well today.  My PT (Andrew) said he wanted me to warm up with walking for 5 minutes.  I'll admit my achilles did not feel normal during my warm up.  So I came back to my house to stretch some more.  I started running and about a quarter mile into my run it started to feel tight.  As the road started to slightly incline I could feel it more and more so I turned around to come home.  I was so bummed, but I swore I was going to listen to my body for now on.  It's so funny - I felt like a wuss if I stopped.  I kept thinking it's not even that painful - I can keep running.  I had to nip that frame of mind right way.  When I turned around to come home I was now running on a slight decline and it didn't bother me so I continued.  About 3 minutes later I could feel the tightness again so I stopped and walked home.  While I was walking home (prob the last .3 miles) I didn't feel anything.  I would def say I am healing, but obviously my body needs more time.  I'm going to listen to it and do just that.  I know God has a plan so I will be submissive...here's to a relaxing weekend!  No mapping out any long distance runs for me.  Instead I'll be icing, stretching and strengthening.

305/403 miles complete!

1 comment:

  1. wow. smart move. listening to your body. i know this must be so HARD for you. when that achilles heals, running will be much more enjoyable... i know you are focused on your marathon coming up...but there are so many others that you can train for when you are feeling better... and it will be the most amazing feeling when you accomplish that goal because you have really been on a tough journey to get to the end of that finish line... you truly are an inspiration to me. praying for quick healing!

    ReplyDelete