Sunday, February 27, 2011

week 7, day 4

So yesterday's run started out amazing.  The weather was perfect and I felt great.  I set out at 12:30.  The sun was shining so bright - I was loving it.  It was so nice not to have to wear a headband and gloves.  Today was the first time I tried running with a Camelbak.  This may have been stupid since the was also the furthest run of my life.  However, I knew I would need to hydrate and this was the easiest way.  It turns out the sound of the water sloshing around bothered me more than the feel of the backpack.

I ran the first two miles by myself which was nice.  It was nice to look forward to meeting Leaha for the next five.  Those five were great.  We ran out to my parents house.  My knees started to tighten up around mile 4.  I kept running and eventually the pain would just come in waves.  I think running a route with hills def helps - it makes different muscles work.  While I love running an all flat terrain it only works certain muscles the whole time which takes a toll on my knees.  Needless to say we made it to my parents in about 71 minutes (7 miles) to find my dad in the yard waiting and waving - so motivating!  I dropped off Leaha, ate some Gu chomps for a boost of energy and continued my run.  Bekie met me around mile 8.5 and we continued into town.  My knees were really tight by now, but once we reached some hills the pain subsided a bit.  When we passed my house we had 2 more miles to go.  I could tell if Bekie had not been with me I would have been a head case and it would have taken everything I had to finish.  Thankfully her presence motivated me!  The last half mile my lower back was numb - I never experienced that before.  Maybe it was from wearing the Camelbak - which I ended up loving.  It was so easy to use and I was never thirsty.  We ended at my house with a total of 14 miles in 2:18:32 - a 9:53 mile.  I couldn't believe it!  I ran my very first half marathon (13.1 miles) in the same time!  I was pretty impressed!  Although, I was thinking the other day that I am not really a runner, I'm a jogger.  Well I don't like being a jogger.  So I don't care, I am going to continue calling myself a runner - LOL!  A "jogger" that runs this much has got to be considered a "runner", right?

I spent the rest of the afternoon eating and hydrating (hotdog, mac and cheese, blueberries, a banana, half a cucumber, Gatorade, water and advil).  I iced my knees for about 30 minutes.  Then Brent and I went out to eat at Iron Hill around 7pm.  I had a chicken salad sandwich, sweet potato fries and two brewskis.  I was so full.  However, I proceeded to order french fries (cowboy fries for the yellow dog) and two more brewskis at 9:30pm!  I was hungry again, already!  You can say I rewarded myself.  That's for sure!  Now next week is 15 miles.  If I can do 14.  I can do one more, right?  What will I eat then - haha I'm already thinking about it!  That's what they say, runners run because they love to eat.  So true!

147/463 miles complete!

2 comments:

  1. first of all, i LOVE eating. :) the camelback makes my lower back hurt/go numb too, so strange! i think you will the 15 will come easy... great job on your longest run. its such a fun feeling when you know you've gone your farthest. you'll obviously feel the same way on marathon day and its an awesome feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks danielle! You're awesome! I would love to plan to run a race sometime and am def interested in heading up your way. :)

    ReplyDelete