Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Can't Believe I'm Really Doing This

So after I ran my third half marathon I decided it was a good idea to think about running a full marathon.  I set a goal to run it before I turned 30.  I turned 28 this past summer and decided to tackle my first marathon this spring (thinking if I failed I would still have one more year to try again).  In November I ran my fourth half marathon and achieved a PR of 1:46:22.  This gave me the confidence I needed to try to run a marathon.

Since I had never trained for a full marathon before, I searched beginner marathon training programs and discovered Hal Higdon's Marathon Training for Novice Runners (I chose Novice 2).  I began training last week.  After posting my random thoughts and a countdown on Facebook I decided it would be a better idea to begin a blog.  This way I wouldn't torture my non-running friends with constant status updates about running.  I figured with a blog only the people who wanted to read it would.  Therefore, this is my first experience with blogging.  So forgive me if you don't enjoy it --- actually no, if you don't like it, then don't read it! :)

Since this is my second week training I will give you a quick run-down of my first week.  Running went well last week.  I had to run 3 miles on Tuesday, 5 on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday and 8 on Saturday.  As anxious as I was for Saturday's run, it went really well.  I averaged a 9:16 minute pace and was comfortable the entire run (thanks to my Under Armour Compression Gear - I swear by that stuff).  Monday and Friday are strictly rest days.  This is so hard for me to get used to, but I know I will shortly appreciate these days.  Sundays are meant for 1 hour of cross training.  This is going to be a challenge, but I'm determined to try my best to fit these in.  My first cross training day did not go as planned.  I spent most of the day walking around the Lancaster Outlets.  I decided this could count as some cross training.  So when I got home I only did a 25 minute Pilate's video on demand.  Oh well, better than nothing right?

Now I'm half way into week two of training.  Yesterday morning's run was pretty tough for me.  This makes no sense especially since it was only 3 miles.  For crying out loud I just ran 8 miles on Saturday and felt great.  I thought for sure today would be better.  I had to run 5 miles this morning and it was the worst run I have ever experienced in my running career.  I have no idea what happened.  My legs and heart were so tired.  I was so thirsty and I kept having cramping in my sides.  Now, I have had cramping before, but it usually subsides...not these.  I don't know what was up.  I was so frustrated I almost cried on my way home from the gym.  I kept wondering what was I thinking?  If I feel like this on a 5 mile run, there's no way I can run a marathon!  I refuse to give up, but if I keep feeling like this I really don't know how I will continue training...

27/460 miles complete

3 comments:

  1. SO excited to follow you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "i refuse to give up"... ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT! there are going to be many many more days when you think you cant do it. but trust me, you will do it! the marathon (and all the training that goes into it) is ALL mental. i cant wait to read more and follow along on this journey with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin I know you will do this you are my little girl, and I love you very much. Love Dad

    ReplyDelete