Wednesday, February 2, 2011

week 4, day 2

Today was another successful run!  Since I felt good I had trouble sticking to my plan to run my long runs at a slower pace.  I stuck to my plan for the first 4 miles, but soon realized that since my run was going so well I could speed up and complete 5 miles averaging less than a 9:00 pace.  Low and behold I did.  I ran 5 miles in 44:22.  This is yet another reason why I'm hating the treadmill these days.  I can't stop looking at my speed and distance.  Therefore, I grow competitive with myself.  For some reason when I run outside I am able to just enjoy running and I don't worry about my time or pace.  I run with my ipod using Nike+ so I definitely have the opportunity to obsess with my time and pace, yet I don't.  It must be that when I'm on the treadmill those numbers are just staring right at me.  My dad suggested I just cover it up, but we all know I would lift it up and keep looking at it anyway.  Oh well, I guess I'm just going to have to learn to be disciplined.

55/460 miles complete

1 comment:

  1. i remember the days when i would do long runs on the tredmill... and you are right! i couldn't stop looking at my pace and time! i remember covering it with my tshirt! and i would take sneak peeks:)--keep up the awesome work!

    ReplyDelete