Tuesday, February 1, 2011

week 4, day 1

Week 4 is starting off quite well.  My run went great!  I felt like a runner again (that's two runs in a row - woohoo).  It didn't start off as easy as my runs used to, but it only took a mile to get warmed up.  Then I felt like I could run forever.  Rather than extend the mileage (for fear of over training), I increased my mph.  I started out at a 9:15 mile pace and ended up averaging an 8:34 mile for the entire run.  I ran 3 miles in 25:43.  I'm definitely happy with that!  However, I've been reading about running marathons and have learned that a first time marathon runner's most common error is starting out too fast.  My goal is to start out with a 10:00 or 10:30 mile pace.  I was worried that speeding up when my run feels easy during training might be a bad habit.  Then I decided that it would be okay to run my 3 mile days at a faster speed (if I'm feeling up to it) and just take my time on my longer mileage days.  Who knows if this makes any sense or not...it's worth a try.  Here's to a great week of training ahead!  Having an "ice" day today (no work and no grad class) should definitely help.

50/460 miles complete

No comments:

Post a Comment